Saturday, February 22, 2014

On antique books.

Photo from previous post here.

I've blogged before about reading antique books (click the link above). The thing I find most intriguing about them is that you can't just flip to the inside cover and read a blurb that gives you a synopsis. There's rarely even a hint about what you'll be reading. With an antique book, I usually know by the first paragraph (really!) if it's something I'm going to want to read. I can tell right away if it's a writing style I'll enjoy and whether or not it's just too old-fashioned.  I just got home from the local antique mall and stopped to browse the books.

I wish I'd gotten a clear photo of this one:

Slippy McGee! This one made me laugh out loud. And, yes, this book was super damaged. I just couldn't resist getting a picture because the title was so funny. Also, the first paragraph was a no-go for me with good old Slippy McGee.

This next one caught my eye for some reason, so I decided to read the first page:


This was just the preface, but I forgot to take a photo of the actual start of the book. This one seemed ok, but didn't make the cut. Maybe the first line shouldn't have been about the author's awareness of nothing startling or wonderful about the book. Haha.

I did end up coming home with this one:


 It seems to be written in the form of diary entries of 19-year-old Mary MacLane.






This may look just too old-fashioned and boring to some, but I really like books in the "diary" style, especially old ones. I'm looking forward to starting this one!

**UPDATE** This book is actually nonfiction and Mary MacLane was kind of a big deal in her day!

I did pick up something else on today's trip. Be sure to stay tuned for tomorrow's post!

Happy Saturday!

P.S. Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble adding photos to blog posts since they changed the format? I have to highlight the photo and click "add selected" at least five to ten times before it will actually add a photo. This never used to be a problem, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

4 comments:

  1. What great finds. I could get lost in an old book store.
    There are a few at the beach we frequent each summer.
    Good memories !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Mary McLane is a first edition - it has some value. Very unusual - never heard of it before!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa- I dont' know if it's a first edition. It doesn't seem to have a copyright page and it looks like maybe a page or two (front matter pages) are missing from the very beginning. It's not in the best shape. I just thought it seemed really interesting and it was only $2.50.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a first edition of Mary MacLane's 1902 classic. : ) Herbert Stone & Co. First ed.s of that book in great condition are at about $25. Mary MacLane did go on to do much amazing writing - we've been researching her since about 1985. She even went on to do a groundbreaking silent movie! Check out the rest of hr writing - I think she was one of America's greats.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!