Monday, February 11, 2013

Lunch and a healthier me.

Mmmmm. I've been loving these California Veggie Burgers lately. Although I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian (these burgers are vegan), I've been leaning toward a lot of vegetarian foods for the health benefits- and because some of them are really good! I especially like these burgers with avocado and tiny cherry tomato slices.

I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately that really expose all the total garbage we eat on a daily basis. Everything is so full of chemicals nowadays, and high fructose corn syrup seems to make its way into everything. I definitely want to move away from those things! I've since increased the amount of fruits and vegetables I eat every day, considerably decreased my sugar intake, and feel SO much better! I've also started drinking a lot of water (I actually hate water. Weird, I know).

Do any of you own a juicer? I'm thinking about getting one and am curious about experiences any of you may have had.

Last year I lost 17 pounds (it doesn't sound like much but I lost everything I wanted to lose) cutting back on sugar and and doing one or two miles from this walking video every day or two. I kind of went off track once autumn hit and stopped doing the videos.  I've kept the weight off, but definitely lost some strength and tone and need to get walking again. If you're looking for a video you can do at home that is simple to follow and really works, I'd definitely give Leslie Sansone a try. When you first start doing one of the routines, you think it's almost TOO easy and can't imagine it doing anything. By the end, you are completely out of breath and sore. Seriously!

Anyway, if any of you have any juicer recommendations, please do let me know!

7 comments:

  1. That burger looks good! I don't have a juicer, but I do own a blender, I like to make smoothies with orange juice, banana and yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for suggesting this video. I'll give it a try! :)
    I'm looking for some workout videos, because I have no money for the gym, at the moment. So all suggestions are precious for me.
    And congrats for your 17 pounds you lost!
    I'm trying to lose weight after 10 (and more) years into bad problems with food. I have to loose around 20 KG; in 2012 I lost only 4 Kg (11 pounds, more or less), but hey, every single kg is important! :)
    I haven't a juicer, but I often make fruit juice with a common blender (you have to add some water to fruit to help the process). It works, no new heavy/big stuff in the kitchen and you save all the fibers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate water too, I know exactly where you're coming from haha! I'm a vegetarian and I love watching food documentaries (the two aren't really related to each other but compliment well). I own a Hamilton Beach juicer that I got from some friends who were leaving the country and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, it's absolutely my most-used kitchen appliance (and I love to cook too!). Occasionally I blog my recipes and things.

    Congratulations on losing the weight in a healthy way and keep up the healthy lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I'm so glad you're blogging regularly again. I have a juicer and LOVE it. (This is the one I have, at just $99: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360698750&sr=8-1&keywords=breville+juicer It's super easy to clean and gets the job done, a very great juicer for beginners). I will say, I juice much more frequently in the summer, when it's convenient (and much cheaper) to pick up produce from my local farmer's market, and juicing veggies and fruits are definitely in season when the weather is warmer. Anyways, I would recommend juicing to absolutely every person on this earth. The fact that your body gets those vital micro-nutrients, enzymes, and minerals from the leafy greens and fruits/veggies basically right away, well, you can't beat that. It's incredible. And if you are not fond of leafy greens, there are ways to mask their taste. I think you should totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't own a juicer but I recently visited a friend who owns one and she swears by it. She made some juice for breakfast for us one morning and it was delicious. It's good for your body, and it's good for your mind, just knowing that you are doing something *right* for yourself. (Sad that right now all I can think of is cheese puffs!!) I do own a blender and I've been able to make lots of juices with it. I put left over salad in it sometimes, with a sweeter fruit and it's great.

    About the water... I don't like the taste of anything but distilled water. BUT I got a water pitcher with a container for fruits/veggies in the middle, so now I have flavored water. Best gift ever. Cucumber is my favorite!

    p.s. sarah, thanks! that juicer is now on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm at the same place too, trying to cut out all the unhealthy things I eat and focus on clean, healthy things. I don't have a juicer but would love to hear a review if you got one.

    And good luck with the Leslie Sansone videos, I've heard a lot of good things about them. I used to work out at home but we recently joined a gym so that there's more equipment, child care, and a full track to use. Definitely worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you based on your comments on Life Tastes Good blog :) I am so happy that many people are seeing the garbage the food industry in this country is selling us. It's a crime that FDA is in bed with such *food* suppliers which isn't even real food! I want to lose 5 lbs, I am a vegetarian already and I love fruits. I like water but don't remember to drink always. Thanks so much for that walking video link, can't wait to check it out as I don't want to pay too much for gym to just walk there. I walk 10-15 mins twice a day each day at work.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!