Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Handmaid's Tale

Have you ever read a book multiple times, but you still want to start over the second you've finished it (for the second or third time)? That's how I feel about Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. This isn't a new book, so if you're an avid reader, and maybe even if you're not, you probably already know about it.

This is definitely not my typical type of book. I prefer stories that are set in the past, usually around 1900 or so. I rarely, if ever, read books set in present day...for some reason I just don't feel whisked away into a story if it takes place right now. The Handmaid's Tale, however, is actually set in the future in what used to be the United States- a frightening future where women aren't allowed to read and have been separated into different groups with different purposes. They are stripped of their names and everything about the life they once knew. It's one of those "Big Brother" stories that is is truly chilling.

If you haven't already read this book, even if it's not your thing, you must do so. Every time I read it, I can't put it down. Get it here. Do you have a book that you've read multiple times and will continue to do so? I'd love to know what it is so I can check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link- I've bought it to read. I love books, but I have to be careful with them. Once I start reading I tend to ignore everything else because I cannot pull away from the story that is playing out in my mind :) I don't really have a book I've read over and over but I really love books set in history too- especially English Kings and Queens :)
    and mysteries...I love mysteries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading Dracula, but River God and Memoirs of a Geisha are two of my favorites! Next I am going to tackle Moby Dick, and then a couple of old Japanese books called Naomi and The Tale of Genji, which was the first novel ever written about a thousand years ago :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, Kim. I think you'll be sucked into it in no time! Meghan- I agree... Memoirs of a Geisha was so good! I thought it lost some momentum after a certain part of the book, but I won't say where here because I don't want to throw out any spoilers for anyone! I also have Dracula but haven't started it. It's been on my shelf for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just re-read the Handmaid's Tale :) But my favorite Atwood book will always be The Blind Assassin - have you read it? I've read it at least 3 or 4 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, no! I don't think I've read any other Atwood books. I'm going to have to give that one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Handmaid's tale is one of my all-time favorites! Another book I've read multiple times and love just as much now as when it was new is Mary Doria Russell's, The Sparrow. If you haven't read it, definitely do. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!