Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The start of my new ojo de Dios!

Wow, it's been a while! I've taken a little much-needed break, but I've acquired a lot of neat vintage things and have many things to show you! But first I'll show you my new mandala I made by using a kit from Jay of JaysMandalas. Jay was SO sweet and answered all of my many questions (and quickly!) as I went through the steps and tried to make my first ojo de Dios (eye of God) mandala. It was so much fun to make, but also required a lot of work and crafty maneuvering.

Here's a picture I snapped after I got a little further with the design:

And the finished product:


This one DOES have mistakes, but I'm proud of my first try! This one is 16 inches wide.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to add the traditional embroidery to the edges. I kind of like it just like this! Jay sells kits with both dowels and yarn included, or just the sticks. I chose to buy the sticks (which he had already carved with measuring marks), and used my own cotton yarn. I think cotton has a much more crisp/less fuzzy look than wool or acrylic. Now that I've learned the basic "moves," I'll be able to create many mandalas with different looks. Right now I have this one resting on a windowsill in my kitchen. I highly suggest you purchase a kit from Jay (or get one of his mandalas - they're amazing!).

6 comments:

  1. What a great kit with the notched dowels. Your finished mandala awesome - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I've missed your vintage finds. I look forward to more posts! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back, ponderpants! what a fun project! love how dimensional it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You did good, and I love this kind of blogging from students of my kits and instructions :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love your vintage finds. Keep them coming.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!