Monday, March 26, 2012

A thrift store score, a vintage book and a crazy bookshop!

Would you look at this gorgeous thrift store score?! I got it just a few minutes ago on my lunch break. It's a Dansk pan in the BEST ever aqua- my favorite color!

It's just over 13 inches wide, including the handles. LOVE! I also picked up this little wooden pedestal dish:

I figure I'll use it for rings and such. I'm not sure yet if I'll paint it.

Onto books. Yesterday I spent the day in Chicago, kind of aimlessly wandering and going to vintage shops and used bookstores. The book I ended up bringing home with me was this one:

The story looked really interesting, and I loved the front and back covers. Creepy!

One of the bookstores we visited was this one:

I knew right away that this was my kind of place when I saw the piles of boxes and books and stacks of who-knows-what right in the window display:

It was closed when we first passed, so I took a photo through the window:

We went back a little later when it opened, and that was place was crazy! Every aisle looked like this:

Actually, that's not true. This was the cleanest aisle, but it was too dark everywhere else for my camera to get a good photo. I was a little bit afraid something would fall on me and I'd die in there, but I thought this place was really cool! I hope you all had a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you happened along this bookstore at Clark and Wellington. My now-husband and I actually stopped in there when I was visiting him over winter break seven years ago and it was in that shop that our relationship began. He proposed to me on the sidewalk of that shop (they were closed) in May 2007. We were married in June 2008. It remains "our bookstore!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli- that is an AWESOME story!!!! And how great that your relationship started in a bookstore. Perfection! Mine started in a library...close! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pan is beautiful! Great find!

    That bookstore definitely looks like a place you could spend hours in and still not see everything you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the aqua!
    what a great looking bookstore. you could spend hours i'm sure :)i used to go to shakespeare and company in paris.it was stacked floor to ceiling books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea- I've posted about Shakespeare and Co. on this blog before... It's one of my dreams to get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dansk pan is gorgeous! I'm a bit jealous of your find considering my obsession with aqua as well! I actually bought an aqua set of Le Creuset pots, pans, and bakeware because they were so beautiful. I love cooking and baking so I just had to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew right away it was Dansk.. they are more delicate and stylish than Le Creuset .. if you can say that about cast iron... and the color... wow.. I can see why that is your fave!

    You KNOW there are some really cool treasures in that bookstore!!! It's kind of "National Treasure"ish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aqua is my favorite color too! I think you should paint the pedastal dish aqua. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, Chicago bookstores are the best. Have you ever been to the Printers Row book fair downtown? Easily my favorite thing to do each summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That book shop is amazing! Didn't know they actually did exist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thrift finds and I wish I could visit that bookshop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Harvest Home a few years ago and remember really enjoying it. I completely forgot about it until now. That seems like an amazing bookstore - one of those places where it's impossible to find anything you're looking for, but where there's gems everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have found quite afew books at that store in my junking activitties in the city. It is a tad disorganised but you litterly spend hours in it.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!