Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dear Prudence: A weekend thrifty art re-do.

Recently I was going through some old boxes of things I used to have around the house a long time ago. I found these little shadow boxes I bought from Hobby Lobby maybe six or seven years ago. My first thought was to toss them, as I don't like them anymore. But then I thought, why not use the frames and turn them into something else?

First, I found a boring, old print at the thrift store:

Then I removed the backs of the shadow boxes:

I used the backs to trace the exact shape out of the print (these frames were not perfect shapes and not the same size at all):

Then, using the same steps I used here, I adhered tiny vinyl letters and painted over the whole thing:

After pulling off the letters, I ended up with these:


These are lyrics from the Beatles song Dear Prudence. I'm so glad I didn't throw these away. Did you make anything this weekend? I want to see!

17 comments:

  1. looks great! i have been wanting to try that kind of re-do for a while, but i am having a hard time finding a painting that will work. yours came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I love how they turned out. I like that the lettering shows the painting and rest is white. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are BriLLianT!! I love it.. I am having a garage sale in a couple of weeks ... now I must go through it again to see what I might salvage and recreate!!! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! I want to go find some old prints to cut up now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your idea! What a great way to recycle and add something new to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! (And "Dear Prudence). Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Beatles. Awesome redo for these shadow boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic idea!
    I can't wait to move and start decorating again :) I think i'll make some of these, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this! Great song, great project! I can't wait to do this!!

    Katie- Hems for Her

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love using songs for projects. this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! Great way to recycle. I have to check out the post below now because it looks interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love those! You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. My. Gosh this is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how they are The Beatles lyrics super cute.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!