Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Before and after.

The other day I found this old wooden owl cutout in a pile of yard waste outside of an abandoned house. My boyfriend knew the people who used to live there and they gave us free reign to take what we wanted from the yard. This little guy was mine!

It's about 10 or 11 inches tall and maybe 7 or 8 inches wide at its widest point. Now, I'm no painter, but I decided to give it a try (click to zoom).

I sanded it, painted it and then sanded it again to give it a distressed look. I think I'm going to attach three or four hooks to the front bottom part, and make a key rack out of it! I think it will look cute on the wall. Not bad for what started as a piece of trash in the mud in someone's yard. Score!

11 comments:

  1. adorable .. the Key Keeper .. I love it! he can keep a close eye on them for you.......♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. amy!! it turned out incredible!! you never stop amazing me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh it looks amazing! i think a key rack would be such a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute AND practical -- well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were going to end with saying you'd be sending it to Matthew.
    On another note, word association game.
    I'll start.

    Shanon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really nice, you've done a very good job !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, and time is running out for your eye-run?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SOOO cute - you could make great Christmas gifts this way - and it costs little money, just time and talent!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to find such lovely rubbish, you lucky thing! You owl is gorgeous: I'm half asleep still and as I scrolled down the page it looked like it was blinking at me! Found your blog via Zibagz and really enjoyed the bit about your daughter at Halloween x

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!