Thursday, April 7, 2011

My girl wants to learn how to sew!

I'm so excited! Tonight I gave Julia her very first sewing lesson. She was nervous about operating the machine but had so much fun and caught on quickly.

I took a few sheets of paper and drew marker lines for her to follow with a needle that wasn't actually threaded. I had to change my needle anyway, so it was perfect for her to use on paper.


Next lesson will involve real thread! I'm SO excited to be able to teach Julia this skill. I hope she sticks with it, because it is so frustrating in the beginning.

P.S. I have an inexpensive Brother machine that I bought around three years ago when I decided to teach myself how to sew. It was somewhere around $250.00, I think. I didn't want to spend a lot, just in case I was no good or decided I didn't like it. Even though it turns out I DID like it, this machine has always been good to me and it has given me no need to upgrade.

Anyway, I'm proud of Julia for wanting to learn something new. Maybe she'll be a crafty girl just like her mom. :)

9 comments:

  1. aww, this is so good of you as a momma,
    I was not allowed anywhere near my mothers sewing machine, needless to say I was self taught many many years later.
    enjoy your crafting together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always fun to teach others how to sew ^.^ I hope she sticks with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo! Very exciting and I'm so happy to see that the younger generations are showing an interest in sewing. Your post reminds me of when my mother first started teaching me how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that's so cool! It looks like she did really well :) Be sure to post when she practices with thread :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's never too early to learn to sew and I bet you'll have so much fun sewing together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun! i wish mine wanted to sew a bit more -i'm sure they will eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great, I can't wait until my kids are old enough to (hopefully) want to learn to sew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Julia! She looks so excited and such nice straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome. I hope she sticks with it, because sewing seems like such a fun skill to have. My mom tried to teach me when I was about Julia's age, but I got too frustrated because something ALWAYS went wrong the second my mom left the room. :P

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!