Monday, October 4, 2010

A look into the past (or what I found on my back porch).

A while back, I got home from work one day to find these two very old books on my back porch. They were left by someone who knew I loved such things and had found them at a nearby thrift store:

There is a name inside one of the covers:

Each book was stuffed with treasures, like a lot of pressed flowers:


and a lot of four-leaf clovers:

and bits of old paper:

and clippings someone once found very special and chose to keep:

Now that's the kind of thing I love seeing on my back porch when I get home! I'm so glad the thrift store people didn't go through the pages and remove all these little treasures of the past.

While I was just taking the photos above, I noticed the two cuddlebunnies spooning on the chair:


Of course, as soon as they realized I was watching they separated as if I didn't just catch them making out (which I did). They are such sweet boys.

19 comments:

  1. Wow. The condition of the books and everything in them is beautiful. I love things like this. Wish someone would leave something similar on my back porch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love the kitties :)
    And I must admit, the books are pretty amazing, I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a special treat to come home too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special gift! The books are beautiful and the treasures inside them makes them that much more special. Awfully cute cats too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing gift! I love old books, i have a small collection of them myself. That's great they didn't go through them and take out the goodies! Cute, cute cats!

    xoxo~meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cats look so cute! What a lovely surprise to find a pair of beautiful vintage books! You have nice neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that book with the flowers on the cover is SOOOOO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a small collection of very old books as well, that have come from overseas. I use them to decorate, they just bring a warmth and character to my space, I wouldn't want to do without! :o)

    Your picture of the 4 leaf clover with the window behind is amazing! And I'm going to copy down that Age poem, because that is a good thing to read every single morning. Can't wait to purchase a cuff soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now THAT is too sweet - sweet friend and sweet kitties!

    BTW, I caught you on the front page about 3 times last week! Lucky chickie - or should I say talented chickie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone!

    Lori- I've had some front page luck recently- I'm enjoying it while it lasts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. those books are beautiful. amazing that both the books & the treasures inside are in such good shape. LOVE IT!!!!!

    the cuddle buddies are sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love old books so much. They're like little pieces of history. I have a house full of them!
    Oh, and kittens too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome thing to find on your porch! someone must love you.

    and, i just want to jump in there with your kitties! so snuggly...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why couldn't I have a friend like that! Really though, nice stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What amazing treasures! It makes me want to tuck special surprises into books, so that someone some day will find them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoever left those books for you must be pretty fantastic! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, I can't tell you how many times I've found GREAT things tucked inside old books.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great treasure Amy ...and what a sweet sweet cats !! XX

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!