Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Yes, I'm alive!

Wow, I don't think I've ever gone this long without posting! As you may remember, I closed on my "new" house last Monday. I have spent all my time since then making trips back and forth and trying my hardest to update the walls in the house- there is a LOT of wallpaper. Every single room is covered in layer after layer. They even wallpapered and painted over the ceiling, which has been VERY hard to remove. It turns out that the removal of most of the wallpaper is just going to be too damaging to the antique plaster walls. Therefore, even though it pains me to say it, I decided to paint over the majority of the wallpaper. Before you cringe, just know I did major research on the subject and am in the process of doing it the RIGHT way! After all is said and done, nobody should be able to tell it's not just painted drywall. I've hesitated to post "before" photos because there is just so much work to be done and these pictures are not flattering! BUT it's only fair- to show the "after" photos at some point, I just had to show the house before the work began. So, here are some not-so-pleasant shots. I promise, the house is going to be adorable!

It has a gorgeous staircase, but it's really hard to photograph:


Downstairs, all the trim is white, but upstairs all the woodwork is in the original, unpainted condition. It's beautiful!:

The kitchen needs major updating, but it has a lot of charm! All the accessories you see belonged to the seller- they have since been removed:

There is a "secret" tiny room off of the bathroom upstairs, and it has these gorgeous antique linoleum floors! I am keeping them:


The room with the chandelier is the dining room. I love the wood floors. The living room (where I was standing to take the photo) is carpeted but not wall-to-wall; it's just a remnant that is placed in the middle. I am going to remove it:

Here is Julia giving her best "I'm cool" pose. Oh, and here you can see the old sewing machine I got with the house. The chair in the background came with the house, too:

Another view from the living room:

Most of the curtains are now down (I'm going to try and sew my own!). The house is quite the disaster right now, and I'm not actually 100% moving in until that wallpaper is completely out of sight. I just can't do it! hahah

And a great big thank you to everyone who is interested in participated in my mini vintage swap!! YES, I will be organizing this soon! If you'd like to participate, make sure to let me know by this Friday and I'll add you to the list!

33 comments:

  1. your house is gorgeous and has so much charm. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new house will be adorable. I'm so loving the staircase. I really can't wait to see what you do with this sweet place. Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house is sooo charming I was expecting to see a disater. I live in Las Vegas where house have no charm. I want to marry your kitchen, yellow cabinets and all. Can't wait to see how you transform your new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thats a lot of wallpaper. Can't wait to see the after photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel for you on the wallpaper bit. love love love the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen is so cute! I love old houses. Mine is 103 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the house, and I think you and Julia will too :D And I agree with the posters, your kitchen is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house is beautiful! I am so in love with your kitchen and can just imagine making coffee, baking and hanging out in there. I can't wait to see the after pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - you're house is amazing! I can't wait to see the "after" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your house how's tons of charm! Can't wait to see how you re-imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm in tears! I've missed you! This is so amazing, so brave, so strong of you. I wish I could be there with paint brushes and chai tea and crude jokes to keep you company as you transform your new home and settle into your new life.

    You are incredible, Ms. Amy. Hugs from Carolina.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful, all of it, the light coming in is gorgeous and the secret room's floor is so charming. Can't wait to see it as you go. No rush to move in, I worked for months with my family before I moved in, there was so much to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually think the kitchen looks kind of perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so want your house.. too cute :•)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm already obsessed with your house. I feel like it straight out of a movie or something. I'm moving in. I fly in on Monday. Vemelope is coming too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The house is really really cute! I love the stairway and the hardwood floors. I look forward to seeing the after photos. Be sure to take some "during" photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so jealous! Your house has a ton of potential, good luck. I am looking forward to 'after' shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new little house is so adorable, so much charm and I can't wait to see all you do with it. Such an exciting time for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is gorgeous! I am so jealous! You are on a wonderful adventure...keep looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh the house is so beautiful! and has TONS of potential! I too will be spending tons of time removing fuzzy 60s and 70s wallpaper from my new house! but i wont have that plaster wall problem...thats a tough one. I dont know what you would think of it but they do make paintable wall paper I used it in one of my old, OLD apartments. If any of your walls are too uneven and bad the paintable wallpaper is textured and covers a lot of 'oops' spots.It is thick and white and comes with several different textures. Not as fantastic as beautiful smooth drywall but a great easy fix for those imposible walls!

    Oh and I would love to be in on the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The house is just gorgeous... I LOVE that staircase! And yes, I want in on the swap. You already have me on the list, right? ;)

    Karen Beth
    msred5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy- your house is stunning! I love the details- and to me every room just seems as if it was made for you to live there. I sympathize with you on the wallpaper- but believe it or not, taking that plaster down would be a horrible job- take it from me! We live in a very old house and took the plaster and lathe down in one room. After that I said no way and went over the old walls with textured wallpaper or paint instead. It is a lot of work and a horrible mess to take out old plaster. I cannot wait to see the magic you work on this house. I have to add that the linoleum is just sooo awesome- and Julia is such a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How exciting! I can definitely see all of the potential :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the house! talk about score with the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. don't be ashamed of your before photos.. it doesn't matter how it looks right now, what matters is the potential you see in it! that staircase is so beautiful and i love the charm of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How beautiful! That is just the type of house we are searching for. What character :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's beautiful! It will be spectacular when you get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amy, are you crazy??? The house looks great! Of course you need to do some improvements, but it is magical, and has major potential and I'm sure you'll create amazing new memories in that place!!
    I am so happy for you!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. the house is amazing! it looks so big and cozy! i love the old vintage details. i cannot wait to see all that you do with it. you must be exhausted! but excited at the same time. much love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE it!!! ;^) Congratulations! ;^) The staircase is amazing. The house has tons of charm...can't wait to see the after shots...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wauw Amy, breath taking, what a beautiful house, a real amy house, perfect for you and Julia ! ..love all of it !...lots of xx & hugs from Dani xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. this house is delightful! i love the formality of it - and that secret room in the later post is so cool!

    best,
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the yellow in the kitchen. That is beautiful.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!