Thursday, January 7, 2010

Someone's family

Oh, how I wish I could post a good photo of this old family portrait (click on it to zoom)! I tried to get a good shot but it is the antique bubble glass and no matter what I did the reflection was awful. This was the best I could get! I bought this online maybe three years ago, and was able to save money on shipping by picking it up in person. It's really big, at almost two feet tall! Just look at those faces! There is very old pencil handwriting on the back that labels the girl at the top of the photo Grandma Linda's mother and the boy next to her Uncle Ralph. There is more writing I could probably read if I really, really tried. I just love the face on the little girl in front. The boy in the front looks like he's up to no good. The seller of this photo didn't know much about it other than it was a family from the town in which I was raised. I like to think I may have brushed shoulders with the ancestors of these people at some point.

This was someone's family. And I've kind of adopted them. They deserved a home, don't you think?

12 comments:

  1. i always feel some connection with old family photos i find in thrift stores. i always want to bring them home. give them a place to stay and keep their legacy alive. like they deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really touching :0) It certainly is a shame that people throw out these kinds of things. At the same time, this day in age with digital photography and camera phones, you have to wonder if the value of family images are as important as they once were. I mean, I've seen some families who document the birth of their new child with a camera phone, and the images look terrible. Those too deserve better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I always love the old medium format glass slides of photos too- they seem so mysterious when you hold them up to the light and the people just appear. Lovely purchase. I love that you love stuff like this!

    When are you coming to Carolina to flea market with me?

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! that is an awesome portrait. i love that it is convex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old portraits! I have one of my great grandparents, such stern faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i LOVE this. I have a huge collection of old photos that have lost their families. I mix them with my own old family photos so they all feel at home ;p. I always create stories in my head for each of the people in my photos, i may be a bit crazy but i have accepted it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an 'adopted' relative too. I always thought I was a bit weird - so thanks for the validation. I think I'll blog about her too! It's a really great story.

    It's an amazing portrait. Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They had to stand still for a looooooong time back then, just to get a decent shot. It's no wonder their expressions seem so serious. Amazing find and I can't believe it's so big!

    Photography is so different these days. Seems we capture everything, which is great...but I wonder if future generations will treasure our images in quite the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I'm really into the history of photography & collect old photographs; so i definitely know why you keep this dear to your heart.

    I keep a portrait of a young man on display in my dorm room.

    Here he is in my dorm freshman year:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loveericaphotography/4257578716/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love old photographs but that could be because I went to photo school and spent time learning photo history. But looking at old photographs seems to transport me to another time and you do wonder who those people were and what they did. I love daguerreotype's the most and if I come across one I usually have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy! I'm freaking out now because the lady in your photo looks like a younger version of the lady in an old vintage photo I have on my wall!!!! I'll take a picture of it and send it to you and you tell me what you think!!
    We are crazy twins.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!