Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Once a nerd...

...always a nerd. Remember when you were in grade school, there would be those fundraisers and your parents and family would be trapped into buying candy and cheese and sausage and other things they didn't really need? And remember how if you sold a certain amount of items you'd get to pick a really cool prize? Well, this is proof I have always 1. been a nerd, and 2. loved tiny things. Here is one of the amazingly cool prizes I chose for myself when the rest of the kids were picking glow-in-the-dark stickers and toys and sports equipment and who knows what else:


This tiny calculator (it's under two inches tall) is really one of my prized possessions! Yes, after 24 years (I think I picked it in 2nd grade), it still works! It is worn and most of the gold coloring has worn off the buttons, and you can barely see the numbers, but I will never throw this little gem away. And you know what? I bet all those kids aren't still sitting here today with their stickers and nerf balls. I'm proud I picked the calculator! I actually used this all the way up to high school, until the basic functions just weren't cutting it anymore. Yay for nerds!

12 comments:

  1. How cool is that! So neat that you saved it all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like calculating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the cutest thing, oh my goodness! some of my most treasured things are things i have had all my life, or things my mother saved.

    i did a post on you yesterday or this morning, i cant remember...

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute calculator.

    i was/am also a nerd at heart. i loved maths and my calculator! but to try to make it look 'cooler', i wrote names of the boys i fancied all over it in tipex :0)

    oh to be young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet- of course you know I like tiny things too :) I can't believe you still have it after all these years and it still works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so fabulous that you still have it!
    Sandra Evertson

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that is truly a tiny calculator. so cute! and its red!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute ;)...treasures of the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohh--i used to have one, too! i am super jealous that you kept yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it like the back of my hand! Like a long lost friend! I am surprised that you still have it because you have moved a lot of times! Do you remember when the pouch vanished? That's a mystery but mysteries are fun to PONDER!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!