Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Afghan-to-be

Back in September, I showed you my first attempt at making a granny square in about 15 years. Three months, later, I now have a whopping 1.5 finished granny squares! I decided last night I would NEVER finish enough squares to make an afghan. Because of this, I decided to just make an afghan consisting of one giant granny square. It seems to be a way faster and easier process. The only problem is I think I ruined it. I added a row of a buttercream color and a kind of dark fuschia, and I don't think these two rows match at all.

At first I only had the olive green, aqua and oatmeal (not white!). I knew I wanted two more colors, but both stores I checked only had frosty blues and periwinkles in this same brand/type of cotton yarn. The buttercream and fuschia seemed to be the best way to go. Now I wish I'd pulled them out before I kept going! Oh, well. I'm going to keep going with my giant granny square and hope I get used to these colors by the time it's finished!

***EDIT- I just got the first look of this thing in natural daylight and it is not buttercream at all- more like the color of orange sherbet. I'm not liking it at all!

14 comments:

  1. I actually really like it- but I am notorious for liking lots of color so I guess that might not be a good thing :) It's pretty in my eyes :) I am feeling discouraged now, because I wanted to learn to crochet in 2010 and attempt something like this, but if you are struggling with it what hope do I have??

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the fushia makes it! i love it, what a great idea! i want to learn to do that so bad...next project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks great!! i also think that fucsia makes it more bright! great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the fuschia and buttercream. The whole thing is very pretty! Whenever I get around to learning how to crochet, I'm also going to do a giant granny square!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I agree with everyone, the fuschia looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Love to mix up quirky colors together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also quite like the fuschia and buttercream, I think you will learn to love it by the time its done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with the others~ great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think the colors look great together! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a bummer that you don't like it....but I have seen tons of granny square afghans that use a multitude of colors that don't really match. I think that's part of the fun of them. :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you really dislike it, you could donate it to a children's charity or something. They won't turn you away and what a sweet donation that would be. Just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful, I loooove the colours. I'm a big fan of the green and blue, and the white too. I think that the others add a nice punch.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!