Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fun "fact" of the week

"Stuttering is sometimes the result of habit or carelessness; at others it succeeds a long attack of sickness. It is a kind of St. Vitus' Dance of the tongue...Some twenty years ago the New York world was struck with dumb amazement at the instantaneous remedy for stuttering, which was thrusting a knitting needle through the tongue. But it cured only until the tongue got well, because, while the tongue was sore from the barbarous operation, the extra nervous energy was expanded in the instinctive effort to refrain from any other than a careful movement of the tongue."

-The Guide to Health, Peace and Competence (1869)

What? You mean thrusting a knitting needle through someone's tongue wasn't really a great idea because the cure didn't last? Wow! (and ick)

And a bonus:

"To cure madness, hold him under water until he is almost drowned, the put him to bed in a dark room and his diet only milk pottage, half water."

-The Young Man's Companion (1775)

I apologize for the lack of a fun "fact" last week- where was my head??!!

Image from here.

7 comments:

  1. lol, knitting needle through the tongue?! yikes. Glad I didn't live in that time. Well, I didn't stutter, but I had a speech impediment as a kid!

    I love reading your fun facts!!

    And thank so much for your kind words on my blog. You're actually on my list of top people to feature! lol. If you're interested, just let me know. I was thinking of including you in a five feature week to start off the new year, of my five fave shops.

    Thanks again Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuk yuk and double yuk.

    And what's up with the water boarding to cure "madness"? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so amusing...and scary! Your fun fact collection would make an interesting coffee table book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lost Earring- they are already from a book! lol..in fact, I'm running out of them, so my poor fun facts are going to have to end soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god these are bizarre!!! It is so uncanny you dropped by as I had been thinking of you thinking how cute your little boys are and that I MUST get some more photos of our littles girls and put them on my blog. So I took some shots today and hopefully will post them very soon. I am LOVING your cuffs too, so gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this makes me look at my knitting needles in a completely different way......

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!