Monday, November 2, 2009

Fun "fact" of the week

"It is my opinion, founded on observation, that a daily bath, to one in good health, is not only not beneficial, but is injurious...a man who is well should let himself alone! A daily bath, shower or otherwise is a modern invention, devised to sell bathtubs. I personally have known but two men who acknowledged to a daily shower bath, literally a shower bath every day. One of them died years ago of chronic diarrhea. The other was a hydropathist, a great, stout, raw-boned six footer. I sat at the table with him for many months; he was always bathing and was always sick. When a man is not well, bathing of some kind is advisable under certain circumstances, but it should not be continued too long; as soon as he is well he ought to stop."
- The Guide Board to Health, Peace and Competence (1869)

**image from here.

10 comments:

  1. Down with the bathtub salesmen! That is a fantastic little doozy you found! Now when I'm low on time & don't bathe I will point to this article & stick my tongue out at the world ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! the Victorians must have been a smelly bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Man I love these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no wonder I am always feeling sickly (just kidding). I will be sad when you run out of these tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious! I find myself looking forward to your 'facts' every week, and this one is wonderful! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! they also thought it was dangerous to submerge yourself in water all together - that included swimming.I believe it was Queen Victoria's son who started the swimming trend.

    "Oh! the Victorians must have been a smelly bunch." - I believe that's why they invented perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well maybe not invented but they definitely picked up on it then. (Acording to my prof) haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbelievable! You always find the most ridiculous facts out there!! This one is definitely one of the better ones ;)
    So I guess from now on I will not shower daily... lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. man who knew that bathing was so deadly! lol. i like these segments that you do a lot, they're such fun :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!