Sunday, October 18, 2009

Weekend fun

We had a lot of fun this weekend! Saturday we went to to our very favorite apple orchard. We go every year and it's always so much fun. Autumn colors were everywhere :


We went on a hayride pulled by these two beauties:

Oh, and of course we had our share of apple pie...sooooo good!:

Then today we went to the Trail of History, which is a great festival that whisks you right back to the 1800s. There was a booth for every occupation, and you could watch everyone while they were at work, using only materials and processes that would have been used in the olden days. This one was the artist (click on these photos for close-ups!):

I was in love with her little box of art supplies. Look at all those tiny drawers!

I got to try my hand at making bobbin lace. I sat down for a bit and the woman showed me where to move the bobbins. It was fun!

I loved how everyone was in period dress. It was like being in another world.

OH, and I held a snake, haha...

And Julia enjoyed the company of some oxen:

I think this was my favorite booth- look at all those bottles full of herbs and remedies! It was like a treasure chest full of goodies...

I hope all of you had a great weekend, too!

22 comments:

  1. I really want to go apple picking, it looks like so much fun. And a living history festival too! What a great way to spend the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos...thanks for sharing. I love old bottles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful time! I love festivals like this ... the Fall is such a special time, I really love it. Good job with the bobbin lace--how cool is that!? And I can't believe you held a snake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful photos! And man, that bobbin lace? I'd get SO confused! How the heck do you keep track of what you just moved!? yikes.. Great post m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics Amy. Sounds and looks like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lacemaking! I'm always amazed by the process--

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful weekend! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic post, Amy! All the autumnal bounty is exquisitely beautiful... and that festival has such a great variety...love that bobbin lace! Thanks so much for taking us along. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place! I've held a snake too and it wasn't as bad as I thought :) Now I want some apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you take wonderful pictures! just saying. :) looks like you had a fun, yet educational weekend. :)

    love, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool event! We don't have anything near that awesome where I live. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. It's so nice to know that other people enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! I was hoping to make it to an orchard this year and make apple cider.

    Ps. I know what you mean about the hair! I just cut mine after 3 years of growing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the lovely comment Amy, you're soooo sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pie does look really good. But I am an apple pie/cheese convert, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can believe you had a great weekend, look at the photos, the colours etc...really cool !! xx Dani

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like such a fun weekend! I love historic festivals like that, i've purchased some of my favorite jewelry from war reenactments of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, it looks like this was a terribly exciting weekend! :) Everything sounds so fun.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!