Sunday, October 4, 2009

Try, try again


A couple of years ago I got this crazy idea that I should try woodcuts/linocuts. I'm sure you all know this but you have to carve the background away from your design with a little metal carving tool. Silly me thought it would be a good idea to start with an intricate parlor scene instead of a simple single object. Needless to say, it was really hard. Even one tiny wrong cut destroys the drawing's original shape. It's not like a drawing where you can erase something by mistake and redraw it. Once you chop off part of the drawing, it's gone! I also found that even if you think you've carved away the whole background, there are always little specks that never go away!

Today I found that I still have an uncarved block. I may try again but draw something simpler this time, like a single skeleton key or something. We'll see how motivated I feel today!

12 comments:

  1. I love that scene, it has character and attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're much to hard on yourself -- the parlor scene is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think it came out really well - the little bumps and imperfections are, to me, what makes it so interesting to look at :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've done a pretty awesome job here Amy! Talented as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks amazing! I've carved stamps before, but never a linocut. I've never done any stamps as intricate as this though- awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fantastic piece Amy! Do it again, do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, the little extra woodcut bits and pieces are part of the woodcut charm, they're meant to be there. It looks awesome. I've seen some cool art before where the artist painted a scene on wood first and then used woodcut tools to carve detail into background areas.. it was pretty cool.

    P.S... the Sylvia Plath cuff looks sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty!

    I did some block printing in highschool. it's a lot of fun once you get the hang out it. I wanna start taking printmaking classes here at my college.

    Did you do this recently? I have been wanting to try to start again on my own too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! I totally JUST ordered some linoleum blocks and lino-cutters the other day!! No way. :) I did some a looooong time ago and thought I'd try again, haha.

    Your parlor scene looks FABULOUS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not seeing where you messed up...I LOVE IT!

    Now I wanna try this...its one thing crafty that I've never taken a stab at....now I just need to find the time :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!