Sunday, September 13, 2009

Vintage linens quilt

I have a serious love of vintage linens. I had a whole bunch of pieces of vintage sheets leftover from other projects (and also purchased some vintage fat quarters on Etsy) and decided to make this lovely quilt! Well, I'm not actually a quilter, so this one is really just tied with a little piece of yarn where all the squares meet.

Let me just tell you, it is THE softest throw blanket I've ever had. There is nothing like the feel of soft, vintage sheets! I used a coordinating vintage sheet for the back and there is a layer of cotton batting inside.

Doesn't it just scream sunshine? I plan on making another soon in shades of green and aqua. For the next one I plan on purchasing a walking foot for my sewing machine, which should minimize the kind of twisty look of the edging. I still love it, though, with all its imperfections!

P.S. What is your favorite square in the first pic? I can't decide which one I like best!

22 comments:

  1. I love it!! I was just going through my vintage sheet stash yesterday to choose some things to make a quilt for a baby gift for a friend. Yours looks so soft and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! oh are going to sell that? I get dibs on the green and aqua (assuming I can afford it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it makes me wish for summer to come back just as i was wishing it away
    xoxo

    ps my favourite square is middle second on the left <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this idea....I've seen vintage sheets at Goodwill. Hmmmm....now you've got me thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I think that is one of the prettiest quilts I've ever seen! I agree, vintage sheets are so beautifully soft, and the prints are so delicate and sweet. So lovely - I can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your throw is absolutely beautiful!!! We would love dibs on it if you are selling it. Thanks.

    CRSisters

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome! What a great way to use vintage sheets. :) I love quilts and I've been wishing to make one, but getting really scared whenever I realize how much work they are -- this looks like a good compromise and the result is adorable! I may have to try making one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gasped when I saw that quilt! I just love the soft look and slightly faded colors. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job! I'm just amazed :) It looks really soft...I can just imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty. My favorite is the yellow flowers on the yellow square.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything !
    Tha'ts beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grade-school Tammy :)September 14, 2009 at 6:30 AM

    that's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so beautiful! I never thought of using vintage sheets either, but now I am thinking of adding this to my project list. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!!! <3 It looks so warm and springy and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this~ and I couldn't pick a favorite! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love quilts!! I have one that I got at Ross (dress for less...) of all places, but I LOVE it!
    My favorite square in the first pic would be the one in the center of the middle row :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so pretty! Reminds me of something you might find on bed in Anne of Green Gable's house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so beautiful I have been collecting sheets and pillowcases to do the same but just keep procrastinating so it's sooooo lovely to see yours

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blankets are adorable.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are very talented, I love this and yes it does scream sunshine!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!