Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pretty item of the day

This is my very favorite bud vase. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a photo of it where the whole thing is in focus! At any rate, I thought I'd share it because it is one of my favorite items. It came to me from Germany about five years ago. It is so very tiny! The width at the bottom is smaller than a pencil. Just look at that pretty scalloped edge on the top:

It's scuffed and tarnished and that's the way I like it. I love that it had a life before it came into my possession, and that it came from so very far away! What is one of your favorite items from afar?

5 comments:

  1. That is so pretty. Not sure that I have a favorite item from far away. I just like old things that have been well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a gorgeous West German jug from the fifties... do you know the ones people call "fat lava"? They are a line of ceramic art vases and jugs from a few different hand-makers that were made from around 1940 - 1970 (I think...)
    It's black with thick bubbly white glaze dripped all over it, and has dried with the bubbles inside the glaze, some of them were so thin that they have popped and cracked, it's sort of ugly in the most amazingly charming way and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is wonderful. I love the long lines of it and the petal top. I always feel the same way about my thrifted items. Its so nice to know that they have a history...and to imagine what it was:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just lovely! The detail is so pretty and simple. I have a number of favourite items from far away places, but what I think I love the most are the vintage and antique china pieces that I collected when I lived in Scotland - especially a teacup, saucer and tea plate that I am pretty sure is an Arts and Crafts piece. It is hand painted and the detail is just so beautiful, with little pops of colour in just the right places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw THAT bud vase in a charity shop today! i thought about buying it but it was closing time and the lady shooed us out.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!