Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque

The year is 1893. Artist Piero Piambo paints "corrective" portraits by painting plain society wives and beautifying them on canvas- kind of like yesteryear's photoshop! He struggles with this career choice and wishes to paint truths, not fantasies.

And then something happens.

A blind man approaches him and offers him a job like no other. He is to paint a portrait of the man's employer, Mrs. Charbuque. His compensation will be so great he will never again have to paint another corrective portrait. But there's a catch. Piambo will not be permitted to actually see Mrs. Charbuque. She will sit behind a screen and he will ask her questions. He will then have to divine her likeness from her answers. If he is able to do so, his compensation will triple.

Impossible? Maybe.

Do yourself a favor and read this book.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting! I have to say, I've never been a fan of books, I'm a little A.D.D. for them, but your starting to make me really want to read some of these books! First you make me oxidized, then you make me read!? What are you doing to me woman!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a cool book! We did this exercise at a seminar a long time ago. People sat behind a cardboard wall and had to describe their physical appearance. When the exercise was over. Those on the right answering side stood in front of the seminar group and the questioners had to try to pick them out. It was rather amusing!

    Have a great day!

    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really interesting. I haven't been able to get into the last few books I've tried to read. This is on my radar now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh very intriguing :) When I'm finished reading my new E.L. Doctorow novel, I will certainly check this out!

    My fiance belongs to an audio book club and he wants me to try one, but I'm afraid I'd miss the tactile experience of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lost Earring- I've tried audio books and I CANNOT do them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very intriguing! I love historical novels and this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation- I love books like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh a new read! i have a stack on the go, but i have to be in the mood for certain genre's but that books sounding right up my alley right now! thanks so much for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the recommendation, Have a sweet day! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really creepy....is it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the intrigue... I must add this one too my reading-list--Thanks for the recommendation! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Creepy but in a way you want to know more !!...hope i can find the book here !! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds pretty interesting! You know, I have a little list of books to read, and quite a few of them have come directly from your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooOOOOooo!! Sounds so interesting. Will have to pick this one up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Putting that one on my wish list - it sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!