Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One more fun "fact"


Taken from The Ladies Vase or Polite Manual for Young Ladies (1847):

"Novel reading produces a morbid appetite for excitement. The object of the novelist, generally, is to produce the highest possible degree of excitement, both of the mind and passions. The object is very similar to that of intoxicating liquors on the body; hence, the confirmed novel-reader becomes a kind of literary inebriate, to whom the things of entity have no attractions and whose thirst cannot be slaked...novel reading strengthens the passions, and weakens the virtues and diminishes the power of self-control. Multitudes may date their ruin from the commencement of this kind of reading; and many more, who have been rescued from the snare, will regret to the end of their days its influence in the early formation of their character. If you wish to become weak-headed, nervous and good for nothing, read novels."

Is reading addictive? Yes, definitely. Are we weak-headed and good for nothing for reading? I think not, and laugh in your general direction, silly writer of those words!

17 comments:

  1. LOL!

    Do you think that guy liked to read or hated it all together? it's hard to tell. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I agree with about this passage is that reading is, in fact, very addictive. Now let's go get high on some books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring it on I say! I suddenly feel the urge to pick up a novel if I can be assured of all that passion and excitement. I must have been missing out for years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too funny. :) My thirst cannot be slaked! I have to go read some Harry Potter now. hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read ;)...it were chestnuts ;)...got a chestnut tree in front of our house...and the cake was a plumcake...got a plum tree in the garden :)...and i also don't know everything..so no worries...if you had lived in the neighbourhood i had saved a piece for you :) xx Dani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy! I wondered why you never posted! Now I find that I am not following you! What a dummy I am sometimes!!!! Following you now- and just in time for these passages from the Polite Manual for Young Ladies :) Hope your day is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading is sort of like getting some liquor in you. I never really thought of it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, that is just too much! It's so hard for me to fathom that peoples' thoughts were so tightly constricted, restricted along these narrow little hallways in the mind. My brain feels claustrophobic just reading this stuff ha ha :) Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahahahaha...If you wish to become weak-headed, nervous and good for nothing, read novels....Bring it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH Oh Oh. Your blog is the most beautiful blog in the world. You are my new favourite.
    Love, Amy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!