Thursday, September 17, 2009

It has arrived.

Do you remember this post? I ordered the curio service from Leafcutter Designs and have been eagerly awaiting my mystery package ever since. I had to provide 20 words that meant something to me, and Lea would then find me the perfect item based on those words. It was all such a mystery! These were my words: London, vintage, Dickens, books, dainty florals, tea, treasure chest, aqua, green, tiny, sewing, daguerreotype, dumbwaiter, lantern, passageway, dark, carriage, Victorian, rocks. I received my package today:


I got this adorable little milk glass bird. What is really great is I didn't even tell Lea that I love milk glass! I still didn't quite understand how she decided upon this item with my 20 words until I read the note she enclosed. It reads as follows:

Dear Amy,

Just for you, I have chosen this vintage milk glass Christmas tree bulb in the shape of a bird. Your words "lantern," "passageway," "dark," "rocks," and "dainty" reminded me of the phrase "canary in a coalmine." Early coalmines did not have ventilation systems, so caged canaries were brought down into new seams because canaries are especially sensitive to methane and carbon monoxide. The miners' air supply was safe as long as the canary kept singing; a dead canary would trigger a quick evacuation. This method of detecting poisonous air was used well into the 20th century and your little bird is from around 1930. To bring a canary down into a mine is like carrying a little bit of sunshine and sky into the deep dark depths of dangerous work - a little bit of warm beating breath into an unforgiving hardness. Your little milk glass bird combines a canary and a mining lantern into one. I can see it down there glowing in its little cage - being carried by a large rough hand. I am not sure if it is there by force or its own will. To live like a canary in a coalmine might mean to be heartlessly sacrificed by those that are more powerful, but it could also serve as a warning to others - to see ahead and maybe even sacrifice oneself willingly to save the rest. Or - and perhaps most importantly - it means we should always keep singing in the face of danger, always keep glowing through the inevitable darkness of being. Despite the inescapable cage, we are all capable of flight. It was my delight to choose this for you."

I think my little bird is lovely. Thank you, Lea! Oh, gosh, I'm already itching for another mystery....

31 comments:

  1. oh my- the letter makes me want to try this out even more. How beautiful and moving and what a great treasure to receive! I have never even seen a milk glass christmas tree bulb before! You are so awesome to share your package with us Amy!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is possibly the coolest thing ever - I have never heard of Leafcutter designs, what a genius idea! I will be trying this out, the milk glass bird is so beautiful and unique, a true treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...this is so cool! What a great story and a perfect little mystery package for you! That little birdie is divine and now every time you see it, you will think of this story (which is so true...we should always keep singing)

    PS: I love your shop too! Thanks for stopping by my little bloggie and for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I love that little bird - how cool!!!
    "mom"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just so cool. I love the project and the little bird is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so lovely!!! I want a mystery treasure now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! Oooh... (I'm at a loss for words, believe it or not)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! I love the story behind it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome is that!!! I'm totally going to try this! What a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful treasure (and experience!) Thank you so much for sharing with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a wonderful thing! I feel all goosebumpy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So precious! What a great little letter too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely surprise and a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey girl, i'd be very into doing this mystery gifting swap with you :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so lovely and sweet! I adore milk glass! Have a sweet day! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, the thought process she gave in to choosing what to send you is just amazing!! The note she sent you is just fantastic! Enjoy your Canary :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How amazing! I love the milk glass bird and the thoughtful way it was chosen for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How neat! It's a gorgeous little bird, and I love the way she tied it in with your word list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a find! love it
    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is such an interesting idea! Great wee bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She finds the items on eBay? Is that what I understood?

    At any rate, I love it. The milkglass bird is so beautiful and unique! Did it arrive on your birthday? Super-cool! I'm so tempted by this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah... I'd like to do a mystery swap with someone too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is wonderful! I love what she chose for you and the note made my eyes water.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, how fantastic is that?! I'm SO going to have to check her shop out, and see what comes of it...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is beautiful and very special !!..magical !!..xx

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!