Saturday, September 26, 2009

Gravestone rubbings

I always seem to find something interesting at Victorian Trading Company. I'm not a fan of all of their items, but there are always a couple of things that call out to me. I had really wanted this "Old Stone Rubbing Kit" and had meant to go back and purchase it, but it looks like I waited too long and they no longer carry it. From the item description:

"A romp through ancient burial grounds offers intriguing epitaphs and headstone art. Record fascinating final words and preserve ancestral heritage upon burnished parchment. Includes 60 pg book, wooden brush, 2 blocks rubbing wax, masking tape & paper."

Think of it as an upgrade from the crayon and construction paper rubbings from your childhood. It looks like this kit is still available from Amazon. I've never actually made any gravestone rubbings as an adult, and would love to give it a try. I'm especially drawn to ancient gravestones - graves so old that nobody could possibly still be living who remembers that person or that person's children. I'd like to think of it as further preserving the memory of that soul. He or she walked this earth and breathed this air and laughed and cried and lived, and that deserves a second thought.

8 comments:

  1. This is an amazing idea, I think I'd like to try it. If I do, I shall share my rubbings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some really interesting graveyards here in Halifax. One in particular, the Old Burying Grounds has some fascinating stones. One was engraved by the local engraver for his wife's headstone and each line was done in a different script. It was almost as if he was advertising his craft. Very odd.I would love to have a rubbing of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so intriguing, especially since I have a weird fear of disturbing a cemetary, yet I'm still compelled to do this...

    I just found a similar kit, not as cute but the same general idea :)

    http://globalgenealogy.com/genealogy-general/resources/110150.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that's so neat! I've never actually done any gravestone rubbings before but I've always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my- I love this! When ever I've done rubbings they always come out looking muddy and gross. I NEED this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my- I love this! When ever I've done rubbings they always come out looking muddy and gross. I NEED this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're going to do rubbings contact the cemetery ahead of time. Many of them frown on doing rubbings, especialy some of the older ones. Repeated rubbings can wear down he stone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking forward to taking my children, hopefully this weekend! This kit certainly looks far more elegant than any rubbing we ever did as youngsters... perhaps I'll snaz up our supply basket when we go...? Our G&Gs are due for visits.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!