Friday, August 21, 2009

Worth the wait


Friends, I'd like you to accompany me on a trip. Be warned, this is not any old trip. We are traveling back to 1953 to meet 15-year-old Bunny and 17-year-old Dave. Bunny and Dave were childhood neighbors who just happened to grow into teenage sweethearts. Now, Bunny isn't just any beautiful (and isn't she stunning?) California girl. I get the pleasure of seeing Bunny (also known as Char) on a daily basis at the office where we both work. I was lucky enough to have Char share her story with me, and with her permission I am now sharing the story with all of you.

Oh, but I'm getting ahead of myself! Let's get back to 1953. Sunny California. Bunny and Dave hadn't been together long, but were definitely smitten with one another. And then it happened. Bunny was to take a quick trip to Illinois to bring her sister home, as she had been visiting for a couple of months. Only it wasn't a quick trip. Somehow, as life sometimes takes unexpected turns, Bunny did not return to sunny California. She decided to stay in Illinois and live with her sister. Poor Dave, who was eagerly awaiting Bunny's return. He even got his arm tattooed with the words Bunny + Dave. The two lovebirds kept in touch but as is often the case with long distance relationships, it soon became clear it just wasn't going to work. Bunny let Dave go. Dave joined the marines. The Bunny + Dave tattoo was soon covered over with a lovebird.

Time passed. Separate lives in separate states. Marriages come and gone. Children. Life.

Fast forward 56 years.

Are you still with me? We're back in 2009. A few months ago Bunny came across some old photos from her California days, including the one above. She decided to see if she could find some of the people she used to know because it would be nice to return the photos to the people or families of those pictured. The modern day convenience of the internet led her to classmates.com, which led her to Dave's brother. Of course, Dave's brother was more than happy to give Bunny Dave's phone number.

Can you IMAGINE that phone call? After 56 years?! Well, neither could Dave, and Bunny got a nice, big CLICK after Dave thought she was a solicitor. Thank goodness she's a persistent one and called right back. It just so happens Bunny was taking a trip to California on other business soon after this phone call and Bunny and Dave arranged to meet again for the first time in 56 years. Now, I wish I could tell you it all worked out and the meeting occurred. But, alas, as sometimes happens, circumstances prevented the reunion and Bunny flew back to Illinois without getting to see dear Dave.

Thank goodness the story doesn't end here. You see, Dave just knew things couldn't end this way. He jumped on a Greyhound bus and rode two days and two hours to come see Bunny. And let me tell you, friends, nothing has been the same since. Dave was a houseguest of Bunny's for an entire month. They had meals together, saw the sights together, and Dave read the paper to Bunny every morning...they found each other all over again. Unfortunately, as all vacations do come to an end, Dave had to return home to California.


Now, I have worked with Char for six years and there is a whole new sparkle in her eye since she found Dave. I'm sure he has the same sparkle, though I've never had the pleasure of meeting him (hi, Dave!). And though my story now comes to a close, Dave and Bunny's story is just beginning. Though he just left, Dave is already planning to come back. You see, Dave loves Bunny, and Bunny loves Dave. A first love is now a last love, and that is worth the wait.

31 comments:

  1. Before I even commented, I had to go tell hubs this story...I love this!!
    And these pics of them are just awesome!!
    Yay Bunny and Dave!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Freaking. GOODNESS!! This is the sweetest story I've heard in a very long while. They look wonderful together, then and now. Life is so awesome and clever sometimes. ♥ ♥

    Thanks for completely melting my heart and starting my weekend off on a positive note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THIS is the sweetest story, ever! And having the firsthand pleasure of knowing Char myself, I know that sparkle that you speak of, Amy! Char is the loveliest of ladies and I am thrilled that she and Dave have reunited!Great story and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an adorable story and they are the cutest couple ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome story! A great friend to let you broadcast it! It's like shouting from the roof tops when you're in love!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an incredibly wonderful and moving story! I got a little teary-eyed reading that, and looking at those pictures :) I wish them all the best, and thank you for sharing the story with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story! That's usually the kinda stuff only found in movies!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that brought tears! Something about that first photo just sucked me right in :) I love to hear stories like this because it helps me to believe, even if only momentarily, that life has a way of wrapping things up just right. Ah, kismet :)

    Best wishes to Bunny + Dave!

    Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just amazing, thank you for sharing this incredible story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome. My brother in law and his girlfriend split up when he went into the army. He got out, she was married, he got married...kind of the same story. Many, many years later his wife passed away and his old girlfriend had been divorced for a long time. They met up, fell in love all over again and ended up married. It was so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Amy, for doing such a classy job with Dave's and my story. We couldn't have trusted it with anyone better. xo Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this story, it is so sweet! I'm such a hopeless romantic, but I'm so glad that things like this really do happen. Thanks to you, Bunny, and Dave, for putting this smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's about time this story surfaced, I WANTED TO
    tell the whole world about It for years, Now It's out there and I'm glad,I just hope Bunny sees It, Good for U Amy, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh!!!!!!!!!

    I'm all teary!!

    And they both left you comments!

    Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Made my YEAR Amy!!! Such a great post! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi!

    It really is a lovely story, especially since it's true! If you see such stories on film, they tend to get a bit gushy, but this was just perfect. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed and wish them both all the best. Let's hope for a "happily ever after" for them!

    I just wanted to thank you for the very kind comment on my blog yesterday (or was it today? I forgot to look at the posting-time...)! I'm just so thrilled I'm finally getting some readers. I really, really love your blog too, as I'm known to absolutely adore vintage 50's and 60's clothing. My all time favourite TV show is "American Dreams", and I'm now also an avid follower of Mad Men. I wonder if those actors get to bring home their costumes after the show...? Maybe I should become an actor :)

    I'll keep following your blog as well, and probably comment a lot too (as I love getting comments myself, I try to repay this...)

    / Jenny in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to read this lengthy post!! I'm so happy for Bunny and Dave and I really wanted to write about it on my blog for a while but was afraid to ask permission. I'm so glad they allowed it!! Thanks again, Bunny + Dave!

    P.S. My mom has called me Bunny my whole life, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful wonderful story! It brings back some lost faith in love... I do believe! I do believe in fairy tails!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is the sweetest thing!! I am so mushy, but I LOVE stories like this. What a wonderful ending/beginning. I'm so glad they were reunited. What a sweet love story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a sweet story :) Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww, what a touching story! Thank you and Bunny so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh im crying now. seeing them now, oh. im so happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is SUCH a sweet story! Wishing you many blessings Bunny and Dave!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is quite possibly the most amazing story ever! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am the sister who took Bunny back to Illinois 56 years ago - we had been separated as young girls for too long. When Dave came to IL to see Bunny in July they came to WI to visit me and my new husband. Dave said, "he wanted to meet
    again, the girl who took Bunny away from me all those years ago." We had a great visit - we liked him very much. I wish them all the best and hope they can work it out to be together. I am all for love at this age!! The sister.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bunny and Dave were meant to be!! This story and now the post from "the sister" is making my eyes water!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The sister! Oh, my...I am so happy to have you visit my humble blog. I think it's a good thing you took her. Everything happens for a reason, after all, and perhaps if she would've stayed there wouldn't be such a happy ending. Thanks again for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  27. To PonderandStitch, Yes, everything happens for a reason - I am glad I got to read the story, you wrote it just as it happened and it was very well written... I love my sister and hope that their story has a happy ending. The sister

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm married to one of Bunny's sons and have something to say to Dave..."We miss you, so get your butt to Illinois!!! You became part of the family the short time you were here, so pack it up and get moving. We'll expect you here by Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is an amazing story. I too worked with Bunny and know first hand what a special person she is. I truly wish the best for both Bunny & Dave and hope to meet Dave soon. God sends us miracles everday, we just have to be open to them and this is definately one of those. Thank you for sharing - Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!