Saturday, August 15, 2009

My favorite Victorian photographer

*The Gardener's Daughter, 1867

Julia Margaret Cameron was a British photographer who lived from 1815-1879. She didn't even begin her career as a photographer until her daughter gave her a camera as a gift when she was 48 years old. I have been fascinated with her work for years. She was so ahead of her time! Read all about her here. It's very interesting and worth the click!

*Rosebud Garden, 1868


The photo above is entitled Sadness and was taken by Julia in 1864. It depicts actress Ellen Terry at age 16. Isn't it unbelievable this was taken 145 years ago?! I swear I can imagine this girl posing for such a shoot just yesterday.

I'd also like to recommend the book Afterimage by Helen Humphreys, which is a work of fiction inspired by the photography of Julia Margaret Cameron. Her photo (The Echo, 1868) was used on the cover of the book as shown below:

Read more about the book here. It's been a long time since I read it but I remember enjoying it. It might be time to read it again!

On a side note, my daughter is Julia, and I'm proud she shares her name with this amazing woman. Have a great weekend, all!

15 comments:

  1. Scary! I love her photos. They make me think of the young person that everyone once was. And these people are LONG gone!
    P.S. I think you were supposed to get me a camera for a gift LAST year! ;_

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! See - you are never to old to try something new and excel at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadness is beautiful. Such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous - I love the texture of the path.

    Hello, I'm loving your great blog -your posts are really interesting so thanks very much for sharing them. Pictures are really good too !

    Happy weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes! i adore her photos, they are old but appear so fresh for the times... i was going to blog about her one day too

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds fascinating, and her pictures are amazing! I love seeing photographs that are so old - it makes the past more real to me. I'll have to check into that book as well. :) Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly amazing photos! I'd never have guessed that 'Sadness' was taken over 100 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me a bit of the "Muse" photo I have listed (original and very old):

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_1&listing_id=28217597&ga_search_query=muse&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_67827

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how the emotion captured perfectly on Sadness, but I also adore the beautiful garden where the first photo taken place. They're so quaint and pretty! And never though how old these photos are. Crazy beautiful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've never heard of her. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful photos, i also have never heared of her before...but now i'm curious to want to know more ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, she is one of my very favourite photographers! Her work is so winsome and other worldly. I wrote an essay on her while at university and her work has haunted me ever since. I'm not sure there is a single photographer out there who inspires me more. Thank you, and I am so glad there are kindred spirits like you who appreciate her as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my dear lord. THANK YOU for introducing me to this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love Cameron's work!

    thanks for the eye candy and for the book recommendation!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. She was really ahead of her time. A inspiration to all us artists.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!