Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do you get goose bumps, too?

A while back I found an old Czechoslovakian photo album at an antique shop. It was filled with photos of a sweet little girl and her house and family. Of course, none of it was in my language, so I posted a thread on the Etsy forums asking for help with translating some of the captions. I got a tiny bit of help on single words, but that was it. I ended up selling the album.

Yesterday a wonderful buyer on Etsy ran across my old thread. This is her mother tongue and she was able to translate the album for me. Now it brings a tear to my eye that I no longer have the album, but am grateful it went to a wonderful buyer who appreciates it very much.

The words above (which were below a photo of a house and the words "this is where we were born") are as follows:

Our little cottage.
Stands like a castle
under the green foliage of trees
It is the most beautiful
of all houses.
I would never trade it
for palaces and riches
because in this house
the heart of my dear mother beats.

Omg. I am speechless. Goose bumps. Shivers. Expect these hauntingly beautiful words embroidered on some items in the shop soon (and I'll be making something for myself with them, as well, for I've never read anything more lovely).

17 comments:

  1. so lovely ~~
    and so is your landing on the front page!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -that's amazing! What a beautiful find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. it is odd how words so distant and unrelated to me can hit my heart is some weird way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is amazing. I hope you will let us know when you get something stitched with this on it. Such amazing words. I feel the same about my Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is an amazing poem. I found a whole wedding album from the 1930s filled with all kinds of stuff. I have searched everywhere to give the item back to heirs and have not been able to find anyone. Hankies, pictures, meticulously put together. I am like the keeper of this lady's memories. It was from Waco Texas and if I cannot find anyone I think I may send it to the historic society if I am able.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, that is so great!! Wow, what an awesome find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura- I didn't even know my treasury was on the front page til you said something, so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, that was really nice.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does give me goosebumps. This is my father's nationality, so it feels very nostalgic to see your post. Wonderful, thanks honey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful!
    I love your blog btw, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, yes, yes. goosebumps. lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet! How cool is that of the woman to translate it for you?
    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is pretty amazing! Maybe someday you'll come across another album like it, that is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww!! And btw, I saw your treasury on the front page too! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so so beautiful...like magic...can believe you feel a bit said that you sold it...luckly you still got photos of it ;) xxx Dani

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think my heart stopped for a moment just reading that. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!