Friday, August 14, 2009

Do you know what this is?

No? It is a special writing hut that the irreplaceable Roald Dahl had built in his garden. He wrote all of his children's stories right here. Now his stories for children are masterpieces in themselves, but if you have never read his short stories for adults you are missing out! I've been a fan all my life and never tire of his work. I suggest you go out this very minute and get a copy of Tales of the Unexpected. Do it!! Then make yourself a cup of tea - no, a POT of tea - and read the stories Parson's Pleasure and William and Mary. They are brilliant. I'm just going to have to get bossy and insist you do this. His writing for adults can be very dark and I LOVE that.

Now if you'd like to take a virtual tour of this amazing man's writing hut, go here. You get to use arrows to pan around the room and can even click on items to learn more about them. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, it is so amazing to think that all those spectacular stories came out of this little hut! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - and I will definitely read Tales of the Unexpected! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his children's books, but I didn't even know he wrote short stories for adults! I will be checking those out asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize Roald Dahl wrote for adults as well, although I've always loved his children's books, especially The Twits. I'm definitely going to have to check out his other work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any Dahl, but when I saw the little pic of this tiny house with the yellow door as a link on Red Planet, I had to check it out. (I love tiny houses AND yellow doors, so this grabbed me right away!). Very cool post, you're blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little hut is amazing. It made me feel warm and calm... And to imagine that someone like Dahl had written most of his works here is just beyond words. I need to find the series! Thank you for sharing this - you have such an inspiring, wonderful blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Want to have also such a pretty house in my garden where you can be creative and dream away :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found 'Tales of the unexpected' a few years ago and was changed forever! They were very unexpected indeed, dark and sometimes frustratingly without resolution, wonderful read. More people should know about them but don't take his childrens' fiction with you into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome post!!! and hmm... i want a writing/crafting hut!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!