Monday, August 31, 2009

Curious Advice

I love reading about things people used to believe back in the olden days. It really is amazing some of the practices people used to follow. While getting ready for work this morning I decided to revisit A Book of Curious Advice: Most Unusual Manners, Morals and Medicine from Days of Yore. I like to flip through it every once and again. In case any of you are wondering how to have beautiful children, here is your answer:

During pregnancy the mother should often have some painting or engraving representing cheerful and beautiful figures before her eyes, or often contemplate some graceful statue. She should avoid looking at or thinking of ugly people or those marked with disfiguring diseases.
-The Physical Life of a Woman, 1872

There are plenty more fun "facts" to be found in this book!

13 comments:

  1. i love this kind of stuff too, makes you wonder what our great great grand kids will think of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some friends from India who still believe something similar to this hehe. I always tell them as long as they keep me around they should be just fine ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny!!! Imagine how guilty a woman felt if she gave birth to an ugly baby even though she tried so hard to only look at pretty things and people... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, wow. That is amazing. Yay for science and more knowledge of biology & nutrition these days. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. Now that's quite a read! I should have something like that around for the times when I feel humanity is sinking into the gutter. Progress, see, we have progressed in our thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about practices like that too. I also love watching those old educational movies with the father figure voice overs and the kischy too happy people.

    I'm not so sure that I'd avoid looking at or thinking about "ugly people or those marked with disfiguring diseases" but the idea of looking at art is pleasing

    ReplyDelete
  7. delightfully odd. love it, too. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How weird! I am going to have to read that one!
    Those darn ugly people, they always screw up cute babies! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! this book sounds great! I will have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, that's funny...great isn't old books ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that sounds like an exciting book! It's so funny to read about silly old beliefs, but it makes me wonder what sort of things we believe now that future generations will find ridiculous!

    Oh, by the way, there's an award for you over at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the idea of manners and medicine combined in one source- makes me giggle-
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha this reminds me of a story my grandmother told me: her mother (my great grandmother) told her not to put her arms above her head while she was pregnant or the cord would wrap around the baby's neck!... CRAZY!... Old Wives Tales are funny! My mother-in-law told me not to cut my son's hair before he was a year old or he wouldn't talk right. I did it anyways & he was talking at 9 months! Boy did I prove her wrong! haha

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!