Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A book is like a lit torch

A few years ago I was browsing a dusty corner of a local antique shop and was lucky enough to stumble across an antique pamphlet all about the lure of books. Being the voracious reader that I am, my heart skipped a beat when I saw it and I brought it home with me that day. It was torn and stained in many spots and was falling apart, but I was able to salvage many little snippets for use in jewelry and other projects. But this part, the part pictured above, was something I kept for myself. "Sometimes I shall handle a book that is a thunderbolt, and sometimes I shall handle a book that is like a lit torch." This is one of the best sentiments about books I have ever read. Books really are that powerful. I'm hoping to get this sentiment stamped onto a bracelet by Misses Bird, similar to the one below but in oxidized silver and a bit more rough and tumbled looking. I want the cuff to look like it's had quite the life and has a story to tell.

As the author of the pamphlet wrote many, many years ago, "Ah, what a pity not to have a book."

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Amy, and I do hope you get the sentiment stamped onto a bracelet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's just lovely! I don't know what I would do without books! It's my escape from the everyday "junk" of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really great idea for a piece of jewelry. I think those of us whom share a love of books are indeed on to something magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous bracelet. So happy to find another bibliophile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. How lucky of you to have found that pamphlet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is really a great idea. Can't wait to see it if you get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quote, that bracelet is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a captivating sentiment! Books can be so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey I saw you posted on ayas blog about my pink dress, i still have it. i tried selling it on ebay, but i'd give it to you if you think it would fit. i dont want money, just someone who would appreciate it more than my closet, haha.
    send me an emal if you want at alishacarie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat! I love that you saved this special piece of writing for yourself. The Misses Bird cuff is really cool--you'll have to post photos of your custom piece when it's all finished :)

    PS We should trade rocks for sure! I live within walking distance to one of the most beautiful beaches in the Puget Sound region, so I'm sure I could find some special treasures for a little rock trade hee hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a book worm as well, they are just such sweet escapes and what a lovely idea for a bracelet!

    XOXO Agnes

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!