Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An unexpected visitor


I admit it. This is not the prettiest picture, but I just had to tell you what happened to me tonight. My daughter and I stopped at the grocery store tonight after work and when we got out to the car, she noticed the this creature on the ground right behind my rear tire. I don't know how she spotted it. When curled up, it is barely bigger than my thumbnail. We took a closer look and were shocked to find this little thing breathing and, though extremely new to the world, seemingly unharmed. We assume a bird was going to have this little guy for dinner and dropped it along the way.

We couldn't just leave it there so we brought it home and have been caring for it tonight. Posting about it on etsy has brought many ideas as to what it could be (because I didn't know) and it seems our unexpected guest is either a rat or a squirrel. Tonight I have been a rat/squirrel mama. I've fed him a special formula of water/sugar/salt found online. I've helped him go to the bathroom, as he can't do it on his own. I've kept him warm.

Right now he is snug and warm and sleeping soundly under a teeny 2x2 inch blanket. Tomorrow I will try to find a local animal rescue that will take him (I just hope he makes it through the night). I will keep you posted!

P.S. Only a few more followers needed to announce the winner of my giveaway!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'll think positive thoughts and say a little prayer for him. It's so amazing that you found him and that no one ran over him!

    It does look like a newborn squirrel--I just Googled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! Poor thing. Goo thing you guys found him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You rock for taking care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwwww... You're such a sweety. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing that your daughter spotted such a little guy! Great Mommying! Hope he makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally looks like a hooded rat baby to me! Seems like you are doing all the right things for this little guy and I have to say I wish I were closer as I would love to take him off your hands as I have little ratties of my own.

    I'm going to bookmark your blog so I can keep up with your postings on this little baby.

    Kudos to you and your daughter for taking him in!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!