Friday, July 10, 2009

On the nightstand

Oh, how I love Sarah Waters. Fingersmith is my all time favorite book, and Affinity is not far behind.

To those of you who don't know (and most of you don't!), I usually only read books in which the story begins in the 1930s or earlier. Modern tales just don't seem to grab my attention. I want to be pulled into the past, somewhere I can't see by just looking out my window.

I want old mansions full of shadows. Crumbling brick streets. Hidden passageways and mischievous parlor maids. Ancient, locked trunks to which there are no keys. A certain darkness.

Sarah Waters does a great job of invoking this type of atmosphere in her books and that is why I love her. I'm currently reading her newest book, The Little Stranger. I'm only about 150 pages in, but Sarah has yet to disappoint me! Read more about it here and join me in the dark.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read on of her books yet, might have to give it a try. Love to check out new authors once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a modernist, the here and now urdan. Maybe I will try something different for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds like just my kind of book! Scrambling to pull up Amazon and put it on my wishlist right now! Since if I get in the patron queue for it at the library, I won't get it until winter.

    Your blog is very lovely! I love the postcard sentiment bracelet a few posts down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bejeweled, thank you! Let me know what you think if you do end up reading the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope sometime you come to the Grayslake Flea Market to see us. It isn't as big as Kane, but there isn't as much new stuff as at Kane. I have recently posted about some of the other places I shop. come back and visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to tell my husband about that book. He loves that kind of fiction also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also prefer novels that are set in a different era. I haven't read one for a while.

    Cool vintage salt shaker in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely will :) I have a stack to finish first before I begin a new book. One of the ones I just finished last night was called "Seance". I thought of you when I finished. It has a lot of the same wonderful Gothic elements. I think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bejeweled, I own that The Seance! I started it a while back and was greatly enjoying it, but ended up gettin distracted by other things and books and putting it aside. I'm going to start it again soon, as I'm afraid I've forgotten too much of the story already!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single one of your comments- thanks for leaving one!